Ali Fuad Selvi
2 SCHOLARSHIPs AWARDED:
What leadership roles or volunteer experiences have been important to you during your time at Maryland?
Here are some of the leadership roles I hold at the moment:
• I co-organize the Second Language Education and Culture Speaker Series on Issues and Controversies in Second Language Education
• I am the current president of the WATESOL (Washington Area Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) NNEST (Non-native English-speaking Teachers) Caucus.
• I am an editorial team member for Asian EFL Journal
• I serve in the TESOL's (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages, Inc.) Employment Issues Committee
• I regularly review proposals for TESOL’s EFL (English as a Foreign Language) and NNEST Interest Sections
• I am a Graduate Lilly Teaching Fellow at the Center for Teaching Excellence at the University of Maryland
What has your scholarship meant to you and how has it enabled you to pursue new and exciting opportunities?
Thanks to the scholarship I received, I was able to pay my mandatory fee for the Spring semester and completed my travel arrangements for an international Conference where I will be presenting two papers and meet scholars from all around the world.
How will you make a positive difference in the world?
"Let everyone sweep in front of his own door, and the whole world will be clean" says German poet, plawright, and novelist Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. In light of his inspirational perspective, one needs to make a positive difference within himself/herself, then spread this positive vibe around by reaching his/her immediate environment. Let's work towards initiating positive differences in the world one step at a time!