The 76th Infantry Division Memorial Scholarship Fund was established, though the University System of Maryland Foundation, Inc. in November 1992 by the 76th Infantry Division Association, Inc. and amended in May 1995 and September 2006. At the request of the donor, the Fund was transferred to the University of Maryland College Park Foundation, Inc. in December 2006. Spendable Income from the 76th Infantry Division Memorial Scholarship Fund provides annual financial assistance to one scholar enrolled in the Army ROTC program and one scholar enrolled in the Air Force ROTC program at the University.
The 76th Infantry Division of the United States Army was reactivated officially on June 15, 1942 at Fort George G. Meade, Maryland. Its ranks were initially formed by men from the eastern states but later it had representation from across the entire country. The Division fought in the Ardennes, Rhineland and Central Europe. Years later at annual reunions, deliberations were made for the establishment of a scholarship. The University of Maryland was chosen because many of the men had a spiritual connection with the State of Maryland as their military birthplace.
In 1992 the 76th Infantry Division Association, Inc. established, through the University System of Maryland Foundation, Inc., an endowed fund to support scholarships at the University of Maryland. At that time, it was the expressed desire of the members of the Division to support an Army Reserve Officers Training program; however, in 1992 the University of Maryland had only one program which was the Air Force Reserve Officers Training program. In 1995 the Fund was amended and later the Army established the Army Reserve Officers Training program at the University of Maryland.